Welcome to Mentionlytics tutorial series!
The following document will show you how to work with the application step by step. We will work together through the manual and we will make your journey more easy and comfy with our brand monitoring tool. After working your way through this series, you’ll be familiar with the tasks and actions that can be done on the Platform itself. However, we will always be there for you if you have any problem.
Monitoring of Web and Social Mentions with Mentionlytics.
Every brand that exploits the Internet today usually thinks about branding and online reputation. Googling is always something that is recommended to verify search results, discovering about positive of negative mentions of a brand. However, several online tools are available for monitoring mentions in social networks and the Web. This tutorial provides a description of Mentionlytics for Web and social media monitoring. After signing up for the free trial or set up an account, the following is available for using the tool.
Mentions with eight sub-menus. Clicking Mentions or arrow on the right, the following sub-menus can be shown or hidden.
The overview page, is your main Dashboard where you can have an overall look at all your mentions in any Social or Web channel.
The most important things you can manipulate are:
- the date period for which mentions are displayed (top – right, just below your username)
- the Campaign selector, where you can select All or a particular campaign to display results for
You can click on the Mentionlytics logo (top-left corner) to come back to the Overview page at any time.
By clicking the hamburger icon () the side menu bar can disappear or appear again, useful for giving you more space on a tablet, mobile phone, or narrow desktop window .
By clicking on the black flag or the little arrow all Accounts that you have acces to, appear.
Campaigns are used to categorize the mentions discovered by Mentionlytics
There are 4 different campaign types in Mentionlytics:
- Brand Monitoring: mentions keyword on the web and on the profiles of Facebook, YouTube and Twitter
- Owned media: mentions in the profiles of Facebook, YouTube and Twitter
- Competitors (mentions of competitors) with campaign (s)
- Marketing Leads (mentions of the target market) with campaign (s)
You can switch between campaigns from the Campaigns dropdown.
- When a campaign is selected only the mentions under this campaign are displayed.
- Choose All Campaigns to see all mentions regardless of their campaign
How to Create a campaign
You can create campaigns of any type by clicking on the add Campaign button.
- Campaign Title
- Campaign Content (optional) – Description of the campaign
Options Of Your Campaign
The URLs for the website and social profiles are described below in the Menu Overview – entered > Your Owned Media (Social Media sites). On the right side there is the green “X” for downloading the report as an Excel, PDF or PNG file. The filter can be used for the Relevance: Loose, Normal, Strict (i.e. there are more search results that are perhaps less relevant or less search results, but relevant in relation to the search term).
The calendar can be used to set the period for the report:
- Last 7 days – default after log-in
- Last 30 days
- Last 60 Days
- This Month
- Last 3 Months
- Last 6 Months
- Last 12 Months
- Custom Range, by clicking on it you will be able to set a custom range.
When you click custom range, just select the start date on the left date selector box and the end date on the right.
Total number of mentions discovered on any channel, either Web or Social, for the specified date period.
- In brackets, you can see the total number of mentions for today, followed by the number of mentions for all time.
Total number of mentions discovered on any Social Media (e.g. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, youtube etc) followed by the number of different users that posted these mentions.
The number of users can be equal or (in most cases) smaller than the number of mentions, as one user can create many posts with mentions to the keyword.
Total number mentions on discovered on websites. This would include any website (news, forums, blogs, wikis, anything).
- It will also include other Social Media that do not have a separate Social Media report (for example Google+, LinkedIn and many other less popular Social Media).
Number of positive vs negative mentions for the selected date period.
- The Sentiment Analysis algorithm is processing any mention discovered, to extract if what is being said is Positive, Negative or Neutral.
- Only the positive and negative are displayed in this box, while any difference in number from the Total mentions refers to neutral sentiment mentions.
- Although the algorithm is very accurate, there are always times that it can extract an inaccurate sentiment. This is because of the complexity of human language, and any software can have great difficulty understanding things like irony.
Mentions Overview Graph Explained
In Mentions Overview, two graphs can be seen for the selected period:
- Mentions per channel over time (day)
- Sentiment analysis per day
At the Title bar you can see all the different sources (Web, Twitter, Facebook etc) for which mentions are reported.
- You can use the checkbox next to each of these, to select or deselect a source to be excluded from the graph.
Mentions per channel over time (day) graph
- The Vertical axis represents the number of Mentions
- The Horizontal axis represents the date
- By hovering over a date point you can see the exact number of mentions at the specific date for each channel
Sentiment Analysis graph
In this graph, you can see the number of positive and negative sentiments over time.
- Hover over a date point to see the exact number of positive vs negative mentions.
Note: currently Sentiment Analysis is available for 17 languages. By default, only english sentiment analysis is being applied. Please contact us to enable your language for your account.
Communications Tracker Explained
In the communications Tracker you can see all the keywords that are being monitored (blue background), plus any Owned Social Media being tracked (gray background).
There is a checkbox next to each item, which you can check to see only mentions from the specific keyword or social channel.
- By default, when no item is checked, mentions are displayed from all items.
- You can check more than one items to see only mentions from these.
How to add keywords to monitor
Setting the Main keyword
This can be a single word or phrase (i.e. your company name, your product name, a person’s name etc) to monitor. This is the single most important thing you need to setup. In most cases you will not need to change anything in the advanced options.
- Mentionlytics will scan the web and social media for this keyword phrase exactly as you wrote it.
If the name is unique, which means that it can only refer to one specific thing, then you will not need to use any of the Advanced options.
Just type in the keyword and click save and you’re all set!
Examples of unique names are: Coca Cola, Pepsi, Mentionlytics, Google Analytics, R2D2, Siemens etc.
Hint: If the name of the company is more than a couple of words, only use the distinct part to get optimal results.
For example, if you company is “Petterson dental clinics care Ltd”, you will probably miss many results if you use it as is.
It is very unlikely that someone will post on his twitter something about “Petterson dental clinics care Ltd”, he will most likely use something like “Petterson dental” instead, so this is your best bet as a keyword to use!
Advanced Settings (optional)
All the following options can be left blank or to their defaults.
These keywords must be included in any discovered mention, in additional to the main keyword, for the mention to be fetched.
Usually, one positive keyword is enough, as more than one will usually cut off useful results.
Negative Keywords are useful to remove irrelevant results
None of these keywords must be included in any discovered mention, regardless if it has the main keyword or any positive keywords.
- In Campaign you can choose a different campaign to save the keyword under (default is set to the current campaign).
- In Tracking Options you can check or uncheck which channels the keywords will be searched for. You can also turn off the Sentiment Analysis if you don’t need it, so that it will not use up your resources and results will come faster.
You can also go to the tab under the Edit icon if you want to change the options on previously added keyword.
If the name can have ambiguous meaning, which means that it can be used to describe something different than your company then you will probably need to use the Advanced Settings options, in order to eliminate irrelevant results (noise).
Examples of ambiguous names are:
- Android: Can refer to the Google OS, to phones or to Android robots in general. This opens the way to other stuff as toys, books (“do andoirds dream of electric sheep?”) etc
- Persons Names: It is quite rare that a full name is used by a single person in the entire world (unless you are Jamie Oliver’s kid, I believe there is only one Poppy Honey Rosie Oliver in the world :p ). So it will need some more work to improve the results.
- Meat Loaf: Is it the singer or the food ?
If your brand falls into this category, don’t worry, Mentionlytics can still work for you!
You have two options:
- Let us (gladly) do the work for you! (recommended) Just ask us to optimize your account and we will make sure that the optimal keywords are conjured to get the best out of Mentionlytics. Don’t worry if you are not a paying customer yet, we’ll do it for free!
Try to find some Negative or Positive keywords to clarify the results, and subtract the irrelevant ones. Check out the Advanced Settings on the next sections on how to do this.
Latest Mentions Boxes
These boxes display the 4 most recent mentions discovered in Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, Instagram and the Web.
On Twitter and Facebook mentions, the icon on the left is the author’s profile image. You can click on it to see more information about him/her and also a list of all mentions to your keyword he/she has done.
On Youtube, Instagram and Web mentions, the icon on the left is the Video, photo or webpage screenshot of the discover mention. Click on it to view it in more detail.
If you move the mouse over each mention, two buttons appear:
- Open Link, with which it is possible to pass directly to Tweet or post or on Facebook for timeline
- Delete the mention of the report.
You can also click the See full report link at the bottom of each box to view the detailed report for the selected channel.
If you see the phrase “There are no … mentions for the selected dates” in any of the boxes, it means that there is no mentions and therefore also no report on the requested dates.
Below, the Mentions Geography is available, including a map with the mentions per country (in percentage). With mouseover, a colored marked area on the map, the country and the percentage of mentions appear.
Top Mentioners Boxes (Influencers)
Below them, a list of the Top Mentioners in the social networks and the Web is available. More specifically, the following Top Mentioners are available:
- Top Twitter Mentioners.
- Top Facebook Mentioners.
- Top YouTube Channels.
- Top Instagram Mentioners.
- Top Website Mentioners.
- Social sharing of Web Mentions = Share of mentions on the web, on the social networks: fb = Facebook, plus = Google+, Pinterest, LinkedIn. The division can be seen with mouseover on a date in the graph.
By clicking on a Top Mentioner, the profile of him is available (click on the “x” on the top right to close):
- In Twitter: number of Tweets, followers, and mentions, the location and recent tweets are available.
- In Facebook: the biography, category, number of Likes and mentions, the location and recent posts are available.
- In YouTube: the biography, number of videos, subscribers, mentions, views and the latest videos are available.
- In Instagram: Summary by URL, number of posts, followers, mentions, the location and recent posts are available.
After selecting the campaign, setting the filter and period for the Monitoring Report, it is possible to create a PDF or a PNG file, which contains the following:
- Number of Total, Social and Web Mentions, Sentiments and a graphic. On mouseover on a date in the graph the distribution of mentions to Web, tweets, Facebook, YouTube and Instagram appears.
- Geography per Countries – countries with most Mentions. A map displays the countries in different shades of red with the most mentions. The redder, the more mentions are available. A display is only possible, if the user has stated his position.
- A graph of the Sentiment Analysis with positive (green) and negative (red) sentiments per day.
- The Most Important and Latest Web Mentions. With mouseover on a mention, the Open Link and Delete choices appear to open the link or delete the mention.
- Last Owned Media Tweets and Latest Tweets – the last own and others’ tweets, which can be opened or deleted.
- Influential Negative (red) and positive (green) Tweets – influential negative and positive tweets that can be opened by clicking on the link.
- Last Owned Media Facebook Posts and Latest Facebook Posts – the last own and others’ posts, which can be opened or deleted.
- Influential Negative (red) and positive (green) Facebook Posts – influential negative and positive posts on Facebook that can be opened by clicking on the link.
- The Top Repeating and Most Influential Facebook Influencers – the most common and most influential influencers on Facebook Number of Mentions or Likes.
- The Top Repeating and Most Influential Twitter Influencers – the most common and most influential influencers on Twitter Number of Mentions or followers.
- The Top Repeating and Most Influential Video Channels – the most common and most influential channels on YouTube with number of Mentions and Subscribers = Subscribers.
The Web Report consists of the following:
- Communications Tracker: For the update and modify the keywords and ads about the latest tweets and Facebook posts (see description in the Overview menu).
- Mentions on Unique Sites – mentions on websites.
- Social Sharing of Pages with Mentions – from Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, LinkedIn.
- Mentions on Home Pages – mentions on the home page of a website.
- Positive and Negative Sentiments on the Web.
- Mentions Overview: graphic with an overview of mentions on the web. The mentions on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Instagram can also be displayed by activating the check mark in the graph. With mouseover on a date, the number of the respective notices appears.
- Social Shares of pages with Web Mentions: Graph with the shares of mentions on the web in the social networks. With mouseover on a date, the number of the respective mentions in fb = Facebook, plus = Google+, Pinterest and LinkedIn are displayed.
- Sentiment Analysis: Graph with the positive (green) and negative (red) sentiment. With mouseover on a date, the number of positive and negative mentions appears.
- Keyword Cloud beta: Displays keywords of mentions. By clicking on the “?” on the top right, there is an explanation: The search terms are displayed, which appear on the requested dates frequently. By clicking on a search term, the results can be filtered, including for displaying mentions to the selected keyword. Clicking Reset filter, all results are reset – the filter again is displayed.
- Filter Results – Filter the results by entering the search term in the Search field – search and click on the magnifying glass right to filter according to term – Sentiment (Any, Positive, Negative) – Owned (everything that was typed in owned media) – Home Pages Only (mentions on the 1st page of a site) – News (mentions that are found on News sites, e.g. Google News) – blogs (mentions in blogs) – sites (mentions on sites that are not on the ones of the other filters – social Media (mentions in social networks for which there is no separate report – reference (reference pages, e.g. Wikipedia) – Community (forums or other communities, e.g. reddit, Quora – Shopping (e-commerce websites, online stores, such as Amazon) – Order by: (site Rank, time, commitment, Relevance) – Sort by: (page rank, time, commitment, relevance). Red box with cross for: top right Reset filter Reset – filter. Bottom right: Enabling and Disabling of Show Banned accounts – display locked accounts with the display Banned domains – suspended domains and the information domain, Rank – rank and mentions – notices or the information “There are no banned domain for this account” – There is no suspended domains for this account. Note: the overall results do not change, only the references to it are shown below, according to the filter.
Below them, the results appear by date, including the following information:
- URL with the Alexa Rank in the country.
- Release Date (Published), language.
- image (by clicking on it takes you to find the mention).
- headline and text.
- campaign and keyword.
- Alexa Rank worldwide.
- the face on the right shows the sentiment (Neutral, Positive, Negative).
- Among the number of mentions on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Pinterest and LinkedIn. Grey means no mentions.
- Right below a green box is displayed if there is a mention on the web or in social networks.
By clicking on the image, the mention can be opened and it will show how often the term of the campaign appears. With show – the actual position is displayed. With Next and Prev -, you can jump between the search terms in the text. With Open Link it goes directly to the page.
Facebook Report is similar with the web report. The following appear:
- Mentions on … Pages – number of mentions on pages.
- Likes on all mention posts and comments – number of Like-me-data for all articles and comments with mentions.
- Comments – number of comments.
- Positive and Negative Sentiment on Facebook.
At the bottom the Posts on Facebook are presented by date. With mouseover on the profile picture you can see the description of the profile. Click on “Go to post” to get directly to the Facebook account. In addition, the thumb, speech bubble and the arrow for the number of Likes are available. Again, the sentiment can be changed as mentioned in the Web Report.
Twitter report is similar with the web report. The following appear:
- Mentions on … Users – number of mentions of … users.
- Favorites on all mention posts.
- Retweets – Number of retweets.
- Positive and Negative Sentiment on Twitter.
- Keyword Cloud beta (see note at the Web Report).
- Filter Results = filter results with sentiment, Owned = own, Shares = Number of what was shared, Order by: (Time, Popularity, Engagement) = Sort by (time, popularity, engagement), Language: (All, English, German, Chinese, Italian, Greek, French, Japanese, Russian, Spanish, Dutch, Portuguese).
At the bottom, the tweets are listed by date in descending order. With Show Tweet, the Tweet can be shown, with Open Tweet leads to Tweet on Twitter with reply can be answered directly after login on Twitter. In addition, the heart and the arrows, as well as the number of the shares appear. Again, the sentiment can be changed as mentioned in the Web Report. Among these are time, date and location of the tweets.
The video report is similar with the Web Report. The following appear:
- Mentions on … Unique YouTube channels – number of mentions on … YouTube channels.
- Social sharing of videos with Mentions – number of social shares of videos with references.
- Total User Interactions – All user interactions (eye = Total viewings, thumbs up rated = positive, thumbs down = rated negatively, heart = favors and balloon = Number of comments).
- Positive and Negative Sentiments on YouTube.
- Filter Results – filter results with sentiment, Owned and Show Removed Videos = Display remote video, i.e. videos that have been deleted on YouTube that mentions this with e.g. title, link, and users may still be displayed.
At the bottom, the videos are listed by date with the user interactions mentioned above. By clicking on the image, the video can be opened and played. Among them there are length = length of the video and Published = published with the date and time of publication.
Instagram Report (BETA)
The report for Instagram was recently available and is therefore still in the beta phase. The Instagram report is similar with the web report. The following appear:
- Mentions from … users.
- Likes on all mention posts = number like button details at all Posts with mentions.
- Comments on posts with mentions.
- Positive and Negative Sentiment on Instagram.
- Keyword Cloud beta (see note at the Web Report).
- Filter Results = filter results with sentiment, Shares = Number of what was shared, Order by: (Time, Popularity, Engagement) = Sort by (time, popularity, engagement), Channels (All, Instagram, Pinterest) = channels (all, Instagram, Pinterest).
At the bottom, the Posts are listed by date. By clicking on the image, the post is displayed. Under the image, the hashtags are displayed. With Open in Instagram the post is opened on Instagram with show Post the image the post appears. The heart indicates the number of like button details and the balloon the number of comments. These include the time, date and place of publication.
After selecting the campaign, the filter, the time and enable or disable the check mark on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube, the top Mentioners of the selected channels are displayed with the following information:
- Channel (Twitter, Facebook or YouTube).
- Profile (the colored line below shows how relevant the profile is in terms of followers. Clicking on, the profile is displayed.
- Followers = number of followers.
- Mentions = number of mentions (by clicking on the arrow they can be installed / descending order).
- Description (biography on the profile).
Mentionlytics for Hootsuite
Mentionlytics is available within Hootsuite, the most popular Social Media Publishing platform with some 15 million users! You can harness the power of Social Media Monitoring & Listening and combine it with the amazing posting/scheduling capabilities of Hootsuite.
Powerful Social Media Monitoring & Listening on Hootsuite
Mentionlytics offers a complete Web & Social Media monitoring solution wrapped in an intuitive interface. From day one our driving force has been the needs of our users and we could not help but notice the popularity of Hootsuite as their platform of choise for effective management of their Social Media profiles.
Although Hootsuite allows for the user to add streams of data including @-mentions to your profiles you would be missing the non-@-mentions to your brand, which usually are much more. This is whenever someone writes a comment or a post which refers to your brand but he is not interesting in letting you know about it. It could be just a warning for their friends, or a exiting moment he wants to share.
Many brands are unaware of these mentions, but this oblivion can be very careless, restricting their view to only a fraction of reality. With Mentionlytics you can see the big picture: Find out what everyone says about your brand on Social Media and Web sites.
Although Mentionlytics is an extremely powerful monitoring tool, and while it does provide some basic capabilities for replying to discovered mentions, it was never designed as a publishing tool. Our users however, often asked for more publishing capabilites. This is why we decided to team up with Hootsuite, the most popular publishing service!
Mentionlytics stream app for Hootsuite
Mentionlytics is a complete Web & Social Media Monitoring / Listening solution. Discover everything that is being said about your brand (company, products), your competitors or any keyword. Our monitoring engine will scan for your mentions (not just @mentions) on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest and all web sources (news, blogs, forums, etc.) and display them as a Hootsuite stream.
If you already have a Hootsuite and Mentionlytics accounts, you only need to add the Mentionlytics app to your Hootsuite dashboard. You will then have to login with your Mentionlytics account information and you will have access to all your mention data instantly.
Don’t Have a Mentionlytics account? Signup for free
If you don’t already have a Mentionlytics account, don’t worry. Just add the Mentionlytics app to your Hootsuite streams, type the keyword you want to monitor, and we will hook you up with a free account so that you will be able to see your mentions and try our service.